History of The Phillips Street Church of Christ
The Phillips Street Church of Christ had its beginning in November 1944 when interested individuals, assisted by the Oak Grove and Rehoboth congregations, contributed toward the purchase of a building previous owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church on Fuller Avenue in Dyersburg, TN. After the building purchase the Fuller Avenue Church of Christ met for the first time on December 10, 1944 with seven members present (M/M Mace Palmer, M.M Bill Shelton, and the Floyd Lowery family). The first elders of the congregation were Cornelius Casteman and Mace Palmer; the first deacons were Floyd Lowery, Bob Miller, and Raymond Rumley. Robert Hutchinson was the first minister of the congregation while J.J. Lancaster held the first gospel meeting.
Between the years of 1944 and 1952 the church grew and additional space was needed. The Fuller Avenue congregation purchased three lots from the Ms. Jennie Bell estate two blocks over on Reynolds Avenue. A building was erected on the property and later a preacher’s house was purchased south of the building and an additional lot was bought. The Reynolds Avenue Church of Christ assembled for the first time in their new building on December 13, 1952 with 176 people present. Earl Fly preached the opening sermon while Harold Fesmire was the first full-time minister. Local preachers to follow at Reynolds Avenue were L.B. Brown, Manley Luscombe, and Mike Kiser.
By 1969 the Reynolds Avenue congregation was averaging 300 in attendance for the Sunday worship service and more space was desperately needed. Five and one half acres located between Phillips Street and Tibbs Street were purchased and bonds were sold to finance the construction of the building in which we still meet today. At the same time a preacher’s home was built on the northern boundary of the property; this property was sold in 2000. The Phillips Street Church of Christ met in the new building for the first time in December, 1970. At the time of construction Alvin Chapman, Joe Davis, Bob Miller, and Owen Taylor were serving as elders. Mike Kiser was the minister.
Today the congregation is served by three elders: Bobby Diggs, Glen Phillips, and Edgar Shults. Others who have served since 1947 are Dale Dial, Bill Rice, Bill Thomason, Riley Wallace, and Gerald Swims. Currently eight men additionally serve as deacons: Jimmie Anderson, Kyle Caton, Brodie Cupples, Patrick Cupples, Jeff Golson, Franklin Robertson, Jeff Shults, and Mike Enoch.
Phillips Street is presently served by two preachers: Andy Brewer and Jeff Golson. Others who have served as preachers at Phillips Street are Mitchell Palmer, Floyd Long, John Stacy, Raymond Hagood, Dan Goddard, Ben Renegar, Lindon Ferguson, Dan Sikes, Arnold Sexton, Tom Bright, and Dustin Forthun.